Updated: Dec 10, 2019
[adapted from "The Mistakes Professional Organizers Always Notice (That You Don't)"
by Gabrielle Savoie Domaine, with Professional Organizer Shira Gill]
1. ORGANIZING BEFORE DECLUTTERING
One of the biggest reasons people are disorganized is because they have too much stuff for their space. To help you determine what to keep ask yourself these questions:
· Would I buy this item for full price today?
· Would it impact my daily life not to have this item?
· Is this item really worth the space it's taking up in my home?
· Is this item adding value to my life right now?
2. NOT ZONING YOUR POSSESSIONS
"If you have trouble finding things in your home, it could be because your belongings haven't been grouped and stored together by both type and usage," Gill says. "Think about how a supermarket is set up in broad categories (produce, dairy, frozen goods, etc.), and apply the same organizational principle to your home." So, figure out what category each of your belongings would fall into and store them together accordingly.
3. BUYING STORAGE WITHOUT A PLAN
Stores' marketing experts know just how to reel you in to buy containers. They're pretty, matching, decorative, and look so useful! So many times my clients have purchased storage tools with the idea these will motivate them to organize. But until you have decluttered--and therefore know exactly how much storage you need--purchasing containers will be a waste of both time and money.
4. ASKING YOURSELF THE WRONG QUESTIONS
Shira Gill recommends focusing on the questions below to help you stay focused on creating a space that supports your current goals and lifestyle:
· Does this item support my current values and priorities?
· Does this item fit in with the vision I have for my ideal home?
· Does this item feel important and meaningful to me?
· Could this item be useful or helpful for another person?
5. LACKING VISION OF THE FINAL RESULT
"Without a clear vision, the task of organizing and de-cluttering an entire home can feel daunting and draining," Gill says. One of the reasons for All Things Organized's complimentary "Let's Get Started" session is to determine your goals and your reasons for tackling your clutter. We try to figure out where your roadblocks are that might derail your efforts. This gives you something to fall back on when you begin to feel overwhelmed and think you might want to stop working.
Being aware of these potential pitfalls, and committing to avoiding them, will help ensure success in all your home organizing projects.